Moong Dal Food Recipe
Moong Dal Food Recipe . Quick, easy to make moong dal recipe. This is healthy dal recipe that you can make it on everyday basis. The taste and flavor of this dal is extra ordinary and is a perfect one to prepare anytime. It goes good even when you have guests for a meal. It can also be prepared as a side dish for a get together or party menu to accompany plain naan or butter naan. Moong Dal (yellow dal) is a healthy Indian comfort food prepared from yellow split lentil (green split gram without skin) and many spices. It is rich in protein and a staple food in India and main source of protein for vegetarians. Serve it with rice and roti for healthy wholesome meal.
Moong Dal Food Recipe
For pressure cooking :
- ½ cup Yellow moong dal (split and skinless)
- 1 cup Water
For dal fry :
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds/sabut jeera
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste/adrak
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste/lahsun
- 1 finely chopped Green chili/hari mirch
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- ½ of medium size Onion/pyaaz finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ cup Tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 to 1 ½ cups Water
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon or to taste
INSTRUCTIONS How To Make Moong Dal Food Recipe :
- Wash the moong dal under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Take washed moong dal in pressure cooker with 1 cup of water. Cover with lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium. Let it cook for 2 whistles on medium heat. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. It should be cooked, soft and almost mushy.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. Now add cumin seeds and let the sizzle.
- Now add ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilies and curry leaves. Saute for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Then add chopped onions, sprinkle the salt to speed up the cooking process.
- Cook till onions get translucent and soft or light pink in color. If using tomatoes, add at this time, cook till tomatoes are slightly soft.
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add cooked dal along with about 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Lastly add lemon juice and mix.
- It is ready to serve. You can add chopped coriander leaves at the end for garnishing.