Masoor Dal Recipe
Masoor Dal Recipe . A simple yet tasty masoor dal recipe. This is an easy masoor dal recipe and good for everyday cooking. This dal is much loved and relished by all at home. A versatile dal that each time I prepare its a variation from the one prepared earlier. Masoor Dal can be prepared in about as many ways as there are cooks who make it, which is why I’m going to tell you upfront that this is probably not how your Indian mother/grandma/aunt makes it. For me, after making many pots of red lentils, this is the method I’ve settled on for its balance of simplicity and taste. Since i often make dal, sabzi, roti or rice at home. So i make some or the other dal recipe almost everyday. and this masoor dal is one of those. Serve the masoor dal with some steamed basmati rice, pickle and papad and you have a comforting indian meal.
Masoor Dal Recipe
- Masoor Dal (Red lentils) 1 cup
- Garam Masala 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder (haldi) 1 tsp
- Salt as Required
- Tomatoes (Tamatar) 2 – 3 medium sized chopped
- Oil or Ghee 1/3 cup
- Onion 1 chopped
- Garlic (lahsun) 4 – 5 crushed or finely chopped
- Ginger (adrak) 1 inch finely chopped
- Green Chillies (hari mirch) 2 chopped
- 1 bunch coriander (dhania patta) chopped
- Water 3 – 3.5 cups
How to make Masoor Dal Recipe :
- Rinse the massor dal thoroughly, until water is clear. It is advisable to soak the dal for 2 – 3 hrs as it reduces the cooking time.
- In a pressure add massor dal, 3 – 3.5 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
- After 2 – 3 whistles cook on low flame for about 10 minutes. Then switch off the flame.
- When you open the cooker the dal should be a pulpy mixture. If required add more water to keep the dal loose, like texture of thick cream.
- If using a pan then cook the dal with the other ingredients for 30 hrs till the dal turns soft and pulpy. Stir occassionally.
- Now for the tadka heat oil in wok. When oil is hot, add onions and cook until tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic, ginger and chillies. Continue to fry until garlic is fully cooked. Add garam masala and chilly powder.
- Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick. And immediately pour this over the cooked dal.
- Stir nicely and let it simmer to blend in the flavors. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve masoor dal hot with steamed basmati rice or roti or chappati.