Arhar Dal Recipe
Arhar Dal Recipe . There are many different lentils eaten in India. Toor dal or Arhar dal is most commonly used dal in India. There are many ways of making dal or lentils and this recipe is one such method. the consistency of this dal is not thin but a little towards the thicker side. this consistency makes the dal excellent to go with naans or tandoori rotis or parathas.
Arhar Dal Recipe
- 1 cup arhar dal/Toor dal (split pigeon beans)
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee for the tempering
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 dried red chili (broken)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch/kashmiri lal mirch powder
- salt as required
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- 1 tsp ginger (adrak) finely chopped or grated
- 1 tomato (tamatar) finely chopped
- 1 onion (pyaaz) finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (lahsun)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (nimbu)
- 1 tblsp coriander leaves (dhania patta) finely chopped
How to make Arhar Dal Recipe :
- Wash and soak the arhar dal in 2 cups of water for 1/2 hour. Soaking the dal reduces the cooking time.
- Cooking with Pressure Cooker – Drain out the water and put dal with 3 cups of water, salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker. Close the lid and cook the dal. After the first whistle turn the heat down and cook on medium flame for 3 – 4 minutes. Turn off the flame. Once the pressure ends open the lid and check if the dal is cooked or not and if it requires some more water. If the dal is thick in consistency then add some water for the desired flow.
- Cooking without Pressure Cooker – Drain out the water and boil dal with 5 -6 cups of water, salt and turmeric in a pan. Once it starts to boil close the lid and turn the flame to medium and simmer till the dal gets little mushy. Adjust the water according to your desired consistency.
- Now move the dal to a serving bowl and begin tempering.
- Take ghee or clarified butter in a pan, heat it; add cumin seed. When the cumin seeds begin to sputter add hing, dried red chilli, stir it and then add green chilli, ginger, garlic and fry till golden brown.
- After few seconds add onions to it when it’s translucent add tomatoes to it.
- When the oil begins to separate add pinch of salt and red chili powder to it. Quickly stir with a spoon and pour it over the dal and close the lid. Ensure that the red chilly powder does not get burnt.
- Before serving garnish it with the coriander leaves and add lemon juice to it, stir it properly.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.
Chef Notes :
|•||Overcooked or leftover dal can be added to roti or chapatti dough. This makes delicious rotis and parathas.|
|•||The amount of dal required per person depends on whether you are serving the dal with roti or with rice. Rice requires more dal.|
|•||You can add chopped coriander leaves to all dals as a garnish.|